Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Hi there!

Welcome to the first entry of my blog. Click HERE to watch!

9 comments:

  1. Jennifer
    I cannot imagine what it must have felt like to move to an area where you are surrounded by people who speak another language. You are very smart to listen and begin picking up the English language when you were out in your community. My best friend is from El Salvador and also did not begin learning English until she attended public school in Houston. I like the point you made about the importance of building relationships with your students. This helps to find common interests among them and then gives you the ability to use those common interests as hooks to engage students in learning. This is a good example of what Wright refers to when he says, “Teachers must get to know their students by obtaining information about their sociocultural background,” (Wright, 2015, p.24). I too, believe that ELL learn a language and retained more when they are allowed to use the language in a respectful and supportive learning environment. Lastly, good idea not labeling students. They all come to school with their baggage as do we and all deserve a chance to do their best and be respected for who they are.

    Wright, Wayne E. (2015) Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners, Philadelphia, PA: Caslon Publishing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy,

      Thank you for your comment, it was quite difficult adjusting to a fully English-speaking group at first, luckily, I had wonderful teachers and such a supportive community that made the transition a process I was easily able to adapt to. I love what you mentioned about ELL students being more open to learning another language when placed in a supportive environment. As Wright states, "ELL students are one of the fastest growing groups in the nation, because of this, the classroom will always have diversity in all aspects" (Wright, p.22).

      Delete
    2. Stacey,

      I agree with you; it must have been challenging for Jennifer to be surrounded by English speaking people where she obviously did not know much about it. I feel like my situation at the time of young age surrounded by Farsi speaking grandparents was challenging for me as well.
      Like Jennifer, I also believe it is very important to build positive relationship with your students to gain their trust. My educator mother rewards her students to have lunch with her once a week. During this group lunch, she makes sure that the student has opportunity to talk about anything. This makes the student feel important and heard. As the Wright states, “Teachers also need to know their students’ cultural backgrounds,” (Wright, p.17). I believe what my mom has started in her class with her students is a great way to know her students.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jennifer!

    I too come from a Hispanic family, and I can understand how it must have felt knowing that family would not be too much helpful in regards to learning a second language which is English.i can also recall going to the store and hearing people speaking English bit not really understanding what exactly they were saying. Thankfully though I was placed in bilingual classes and also had times when a teacher would come in and help assist students who were ELL's. Furthermore I love and must agree with Stacey that building relationships with your students is very very important, but not only that but with parents as well. as mentioned, "Helping ELL's succeed requires academically requires helping them adjust to the culture of the classroom.." (Wright, 2015, p.19) And it is true because as you said if a student feels comfortable in the class they feel safe and they can concentrate more in their work and most importantly be more open to the teacher.

    Wright, Wayne E. (2015) Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners, Philadelphia, PA: Caslon Publishing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yadira,

      Thank you for your sharing your story with me. It is amazing to hear such a similar experience to my very own. I was also placed in bilingual classes where bilingual teachers would assist my learning of the English language and facilitate with the adaptation process. Wright states, ". . . there are about 381 different languages spoken in the United States" (Wright, p.8) This demonstrates that there are thousands of children just like us, as educators it is our duty to help them in the acculturation process.

      Delete
    2. Jennifer,

      Yes, I agree there are hopefully lots of future educators who have been in our same situation as us and hopefully encouraged to help all of these students who were once in our position. The best way we can do this is by thoroughly modeling tasks so they can understand what is expected According to Wright (2015), “teacher models the correct usage through a positive and reinforcing response, using the correct forms in their response.

      Delete
  3. Hello Jennifer! Congratulations on your last semester!
    English is also my second language so I can relate to your language barrier experiences. However, unlike you, I was a lot older when I began to learn English.
    I do believe though, that in a state like Texas where the ELL population is growing our backgrounds will help us create strong relationships with all students, but mostly with ELL students since we can relate to having a different culture and language barrier (Wright, 2015, p.20-23). As Wright also describes on pg. 1, the classification of ELL students varies hugely between age, culture, background, home environment etc. Nevertheless, each one of them is “entitled to quality language instruction to develop their English” and I think you described this quite well in your video, and this is where we come in place (Wright, 2015).
    On that note, I enjoyed knowing about your teaching philosophy.

    Have fun in your last semester,
    Lucy.

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy,

      Thank you for your comment! It brings me joy to hear about that you are also a bilingual student. Although you learned it at a later age, it is apparent that you are able to communicate successfully through written language, this is a major accomplishment because it was not your first language, but you adapted extremely well. Wright suggests that it is important to discover what your ELL students know, so that you can provide the appropriate support to move them across the continuum. (Wright, 2015). This is valid because it clear that your wonderful teachers facilitated in your adaptation and learning process.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Entry 3

For this blog post, I interviewed Mrs. Carolina Brown. She is a bilingual teacher who grew up in the town of Seguin, Texas....